Welcome to The Better Adult Project!
Do you sometimes feel like you’re failing at life?
They often say the twenties are some of the best years of your life. But honestly, I’ve found them to be incredibly hard. Sure, there’s fun parts. But there’s also a whole lot of challenges.
There’s a lot of pressure to tick off the ‘success’ boxes. You know the ones:
And this pressure, whether it’s self-inflicted or society-inflicted, can lead you to feel like you’re failing at life.
As an adult you have to figure out a lot of things.
- Who you are
- Who to love (and find them)
- How to have a healthy relationship
- What to do for work
- How to make money and keep it
- How to accept yourself
The list goes on.
I’m 28. I look at my friends who appear to be content and wonder if I’m going to find that.
The reality is that life is not like the movies (damn you, Katy Perry).
It’s hard, and beautiful, but hard.
Here’s the truth:
- I feel like I should be further along than I am
- I often feel like I’m failing
- I struggle to deal with the uncertainty of knowing if things are going to work out the way I hope they will
- I get lonely and anxious
If you struggle with the weight of expectation that comes with being an adult.
If you feel uncertain about the future.
If you have dreams you’re chasing and wonder if you’re ever going to achieve them.
If you don’t know what you’re doing most of the time and find it hard to navigate all the adult challenges.
You’re in the right place.
The Better Adult Project features short (light-hearted) animation videos with easy life tips for adults. I aim to find humour amid the struggles and share advice that’s helping me to navigate life as an adult.
Who am I?
I’m Christel. A short girl from New Zealand. You can call me midge (short for midget), I don’t mind.
I went to uni, worked as a news journalist (print & TV) for three years, moved to London for 18 months and then returned to New Zealand. For the past two years I’ve worked as a freelance writer, animation video creator and weight loss coach.
I’m a dreamer and will always believe in the pursuit of chasing dreams. I refuse to give up on the things I want. Although, some days I do take much needed breaks.
For me, life is a mixed bag. At times, I am full of wonder at being alive, but it’s also not all sunshine and rainbows. At times life is about self-improvement, but sometimes it’s just about holding on during the rough patches.
I love the idea that we can be new every day. That our past doesn’t have to define our future and the possibility that brings. Even if up until this point we’ve made crappy decisions, we can always turn it around.
I want you to know you aren’t alone in your struggles. I believe you are capable of amazing, beautiful things. You are enough, as you are. You are worthy of your greatest dreams and all the awesome things life has to offer.
Quick facts about me:
- I’ve lived in seven different cities in New Zealand, Australia and the UK. I currently live in Wellington, New Zealand
- I’m born on leap day, so I’m technically seven years old
- I love nana naps and doing cartwheels
- My first book – All By Myself: A Humorous Guide to Navigating the World When You’re Single is now available on Amazon
- I’m learning to play the ukulele (I’m at the stage where strumming and singing at the same time is a challenge)
Here’s some of The Better Adult Project’s most popular videos:
Currently going through a quarter-life crisis? Check out the free guide with 50 tips on how to survive it.